Top Shelf

Top Shelf

Thursday, May 5, 2011

Anchorman

I'll start with this: I honestly believe that Will Ferrell was born with one of many specific purposes on this Earth. Making this movie, was one of them.


Once again, my movies are true representations of my loves. Laughter and music.  This soundtrack is bangin' and think it arguably ranks up there with my top comedies of all time.  I did make this an actual blog because I love sharing my love of movies, much the same way I love sharing music that moves me.


Instantly, you are hooked.


"MMMM, I look good. I mean really good. HEY EVERYONE, COME AND SEE HOW GOOD I LOOK!"




"Ribs...I had ribs for lunch, thats why im doing this." ~ Ron


"How now brown cow." ~ Ron


"How are you...maybe don't wear a bra next time. No, I was talking to you. No, not her, I don't know her name. What is it? Lanolin? La-Lanolin like sheeps wool?" ~ Ron


"Unique New York. Unique New York."  ~ Ron


"Scotchy scotch scotchy here it goes down. Down into  my belly. Mmm mmm mmm." ~ Ron


"The arsonist has oddly shaped feet." ~ Ron


"Well if you were a man. I'd punch you, I'd punch you right in the mouth." ~ Ron


"The human torch was denied a bank loan." ~ Ron


"Ha ho, HAAAA hooo, AAAAHHH!" ~ Ron




I don't know that they could have chosen any four people for these characters. I love them all.




Ok...only complaint with the entire movie...the damn baby saying "Ron Burgandy" like a scary Chuckie-doll killer.  Hate it. **Update: Because of my deep and abiding love of this movie, I had to be honest--after re-watching for the billionth time, I can admit that there are a few other pieces I would clip from this movie but since its already an A+ and you can't get better than that, and this is just really an exercise in remembering what scenes bothered me and why!


Here are a few of my thoughts:


  • We already discussed the baby saying its first words in the beginning.
  • There is the child later who says "You're a disgrace to us all, Ron Burgundy!" But she doesn't say "Burgundy"...it comes out more like "Unggy." And I'm sorry--that's not his name.
  • Ed's ("Ned? I don't know a Ned!") scenes are annoying. Adding the additional back story to him where his son gets into trouble? I'm over it. Waste of my time--go back to the Channel 4 News Team!
  • As attractive as I may find this Wilson brother (Luke), if you're gonna chop a dudes' arms off, make it a little less ridiculous. His fake shoulder is like in his armpit...bad.  Again, totally unnecessary use of celluloid.  As is him losing the second arm at the end.  
  • Eating the cat poop--while I can admit that Nino saying "cat poop" is funny, (sounds like "KA-POO"), its still an awful scene, quite disgusting.  






Now, on to loving the rest of the movie.......






James Westfall. Dr. Kenneth Noisewater.


"Maybe go to Sea World. Take my pants off."  ~ Champ


Now this.... "I'm Brick Tamland.  People seem to like me because I am polite and I'm rarely late.  I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.  Years later, a doctor will tell me that I have an IQ of 48 and am what some people call, mentally retarded."  {{knowing nod}}


Perfect song transition to Ms. Veronica Corningstone (though on  one occasion, her name is misspelled when shown on the screen). ** 50 Gaellons to the person who finds the wrong name** see this previous post for a definition of Gaellons.  




"Do you know who I am?"  ~ Ron
"No, I can't say that I do."  ~ Veronica
"I don't know how to put this...but I'm kinda a big deal."  ~ Ron
"Really?"  ~ Veronica
"People know me."  ~ Ron
"I'm very happy for you." ~ Veronica
"I'm very important, I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany." ~ Ron


"I wanna say something. I'm gonna put it out there and if you like you can take it if you don't send it right back. I want to be on you. Wait...wait wait wait wait. I. I want to be on you."  ~ Ron


"I dont know what we're yelling about!"  ~ Brick


"LOUD NOISES."  ~ Brick




Vince Vaughn cracks me the hell up.  
"Dorthy Mantooth is a saint!"  
"Can't say one word? Even the guy who can't think says something! You just stand there? Come on!"


"Time to musk up...its called sex panther, by Odeon. Its illegal in 9 countries. Stings the nostrils. They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time it works everytime."  ~ Brian


"This is worse than the time the racoon got in the copier."  ~ Two Janitors at the station. An often looked over bit of comedy in movie chock-full of it!


"Excuse me, Veronica. I would like to extend to you an invitation to the pants party. The, party, with the pants, the party with the pants.  Boy am I gonna miss Steve Carrell on The Office." ~ Brick


"Mmmmm, I just burned my tongue."  ~ Brick


"Dont act like you're not impressed."  ~ Ron


Pleasure town.


"I love lamp."  ~ Brick


Seth Rogan is the cameraman.  I never realized that he plays Scotty in this movie.  


"We're trying this new fad called jogging. I believe its jogging or yogging. it might be a soft J."  ~ Ron


Blowing on the straw.  Besides the non-stop joking that abounds in this movie, the physical comedy can't be over looked.  When Ron first rattles the cage and tells the Channel 4 News Team that he's missing the monthly Pancake Breakfast, Champ goes on about wanting to be near Ron, to smell him.  Brian sits there, with a soda and a straw and as the awkwardness of the situation increases, he lightly blows on the straw for distraction.  Its so subtle yet so perfect for the moment.


"When this all gets sorted out, I think you and me should get an apartment together!"  ~ Champ


"Guess what, I do! I know that one day Veronica and I are gonna get married on top of a mountain...and we will dance, till the sun rises and then our children will form a family band and we'll tour the country side, and you're not invited!"  ~ Ron


It's Burrito Time
When that dude's chopper gets thrashed and Ron swerves, I'm sorry, but there's no way his car should be facing that way.  Watch carefully next time.  If I could, I would take a job finding movie errors. It's always been a side hobby of mine.  Think about The Usual Suspects (one of the best movies ever).  When Hockney gets shot at the back of the van--look carefully--you see the plastic that held the fake blood.  So when he's shot, and you see blood, you also see the pouch the blood was held in.


"Guess what? Now this is happening." ~ Broseph


"Ron are you ok?" ~ Brian
"The man punted Baxter!" ~ Ron
"Calm down, breath Ron, breath!" ~ Brian
"The man on the motorcycle!" ~ Ron
"What did the bad man do?"~ Brian
"The motorcycle, on the bridge, I hit him with a buritto!" ~ Ron
"He took him! He kicked him with his foot! That's what he did!"~ Ron
Let me say something...ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!"~ Ron


"Ron, where are you?"
"I'm in a glass case of emotion!"


He hits that guy quite forcefully on his way to read the news.


"I thought you were kidding. I thought it was a joke. I even wrote it down in my diary. Veronica had a very funny joke today. I laughed at it later that night!"




"Hello Veronica, this is Mike Rithjin from the network...Mike Ruthnithin? It's not important."


"This is your doctor, I have your pregnancy report here. This is Dr. Chim, Dr. Chim Richalds."


"Brick, I thought you said this was a short cut."
"Fantastic."
"Well is it a short cut or not?"
"Haha, ok!"


Vince Vaughn on a bike--so awkward, so awkward.  After watching the movie for the 10th time, I finally watched with the Director's commentary on.  It was then that I learned that Vince Vaughn could not ride a bike. He was extremely uncomfortable on it and you can see him swerve more than the others.  In fact, when they finally come to a stop, the other guys dismount and push their bikes to the side--not Vince. He couldn't manage so he stands up with the bike under him.  A few seconds into his "polka" speech, one of the other guys leads the bike out from under him and to the side.  You can see the subtle actions even though you can't see the bike itself.  Its a tight shot. And it makes me love this scene more so I had to share.




Take a moment to appreciate the weapons. As far as movie battles go, this one is as worthy as any war movie. Except for the wilson brother's arm amputation.  I mean, come on, "Brick killed a guy!"


"With a brain a 1/3 the size of us. It's science."


Obvious man double.  Or a bad wig.  When Veronica jumps on Ron's back, it clearly is a man with a bad wig. And it just looks ridiculous.  




Another snipet from the "I wish I could do this for a living" tele-prompter error locator:


She crosses out, "Stay classy San Eiego", above that says, "For all of us here at the Channel Four News Center, I'm Ron Burgundy." Before that, it says, "they got very precise information from the witnesses and that a search is underway for the sedan and its drivers."


But what they say on the air is: 
"After the photo-mat was destroyed, the bear scampered back into the woods." 
"Apparently he wasn't too happy with his color prints."


Consistency, movie makers, don't abuse it!




San Diegoans.  One of my favorite pastimes also happens to be figuring out the plural of something...or making it up!  Octupi, anyone?


Pop mouth--poop out of your mouth!  Ah, Garth's moment in the sun.  


I'd just like to say again that the physical action in this movie can't be ignored.


"Ron burgandy, stay classy. Hello, this is ron, Hello who is there, I'm talking...baxter is that you? Baxter, bark twice if you're in Milwaulkee."  Have the courage to say something, hello?!" ~ Ron




"Brick, my sweet brick. Brick come hug me, I know you want to! I am completely miserable san diego. Its so damn hot...milk was a bad choice." ~ Ron




"Hey lady, why don't you go fetch me a sandwich." ~ Wes
"Ok, I'll go get your sandwich, then I'll show you the ratings where you're number two to a woman. Ouch, I wouldn't lose anymore hair over it." ~ Veronica
"Www-whatever." ~ Wes


NPR
"We at public television, we're really down with the, woman's lib thing." {{push}} ~ NPR Lackey


The Silent Scream--brilliant acting by Christina Applegate.


"There was a time when you called me your lead anchor.  Will you follow me again?" ~ Ron
"I'm getting too old for this shit." ~ Brian
"To the news van!" ~ Ron
"To the news van! Ah, ok!" ~ Brian and Champ say "to the news van" at the same time Brick says "Ah, ok!"


"OOOH, I immediately regret this decision.  These bears are MASSIVE. They looked a lot smaller from up there." ~ Ron


"You woke the bears, why did you do that?" ~Ron


NEWSTEAM: Bear Fight!


And then he loses his second arm--it IS getting to be ri-god-damn-diculous.  


Baxter saves the day. 


He's so happy he's alive.


"I will lick you in front of everyone to show my joy." ~ Ron


"Today we spell redemption, R-O-N." {{drops mic}} ~ Wes


"Brick Tamland is married with 11 children. And is one of the top political advisors to the Bush Whitehouse."


THEN There's Kansas' "Carry on Wayward Son", then out-takes.  Thanks for sealing the deal, Anchorman.  
  
Best out take. "A whale's vagina---Aaaaaa. This is the most ridiculous thing ever."  I often wonder how they even managed to make the whole movie. It must have taken a long time of getting shots without breaking character.



So if you're at this point in the post, congrats! Sorry for the rambling.  Remember, you stay classy planet earth.


Next up, Baraka!








1 comment:

  1. cannot agree with your first statement more. this is by far one of my most favorite movies of all time.
    and btw, its San De-a-gons

    ReplyDelete